Blocking specific senders in Outlook
If you receive unsolicited email from a small number of particular email addresses, you can ensure email from these always goes to your Junk Email folder.
To do this:
- Right click on a message from a sender you want to block.
- Go to Junk and select Block Sender.
Blocking specific words in Outlook
You can also divert email with particular words in the subject directly in to your Junk Email folder.
To do this:
- From the Home tab, select Rules (under the Move section) then Create Rule.
- Tick the box that says Subject Contains.
- Enter the word that you want to block (e.g. drugs, sext, expletives).
- Tick Move the item to folder.
- Select Junk Email and click OK.
To add more words:
- From the Home tab, select Rules (under the Move section).
- Click Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Select the rule you have just created.
- Click on the word highlighted in blue (e.g. drugs).
- Add words to the list as appropriate.
Be aware that every email with the word drugs (in the example) will now be moved to the Junk Email folder, so you must be very careful with the words you select for blocking.