Lancaster University students and staff have a username and password which is used to authenticate their access to the University network and to a range of systems and applications. Some services may also require use of a one-time password (OTP) to gain access.

For details of the types of accounts issued to particular categories of people (dependent on their role/relationship with the University), along with details of how these accounts are provisioned, please see University IT account types.

MyAccount provides information about your University IT Account, as well as other identifiers such as your student or staff number and college, and allows you to change your password. You can access your MyAccount page at

Frequently asked questions

 What is multi-factor authentication (MFA)?

You can learn more about MFA at Multi-factor authentication (MFA) help.

 Can I change the preferred name associated with my IT account?

If you would like to change the appearance of your name in all IT systems:

 Can I change my username?

Unfortunately, your username cannot be altered after it has been generated; your username will not change, even if you change your name.

 How do I merge my IT account with another?

If you have a full staff account, the details for the account should have been sent to you in an email to your non-University email address. Once you have the account details you can merge this onto an existing account yourself via the MyAccount page. The information about the merging process is at the end of the page.

If you don’t have the automated emails to your non-University account, check that the email hasn’t accidentally ended up in a junk or clutter folder. If the email isn’t found, contact HR for further assistance.

 Can I extend my IT account?

At the end of your period of study or when your employment ends at Lancaster University, your IT account will expire. Some students or staff members may have a valid reason for requiring an extension to their IT account.

Your department can make the decision to extend your IT account if they deem you have a valid reason. Please contact them in the first instance.

If you are a staff member dealing with requests to extend IT accounts, this can be done using an online system. For further information, see Temporary IT accounts.

 What happens to my IT account if I intercalate?

During a period of intercalation, you are no longer a registered student of the university, and therefore your access to most University IT services will be suspended until you return. The exception to this is your University email account, which you will continue to have access to. Should you need access to other IT services during your intercalation, please contact The Base.

More information for students who are considering whether to intercalate is available in this guidance from Student Based Services.

 What happens to my IT account when I leave the University?
 Which username format should I use to log into different services?

Depending on the service, you will have to identify yourself in a variety of different ways. Here is a list of the different formats you will need to use, and some of the services they apply to:

lancs\username (e.g. lancs\bloggsj)
  • VPN
  • Remote desktop
  • Shared folder
username (e.g. bloggsj)
  • Lab PCs
  • WebLogin
  • iLancaster


note: this is not your email address)
  • Eduroam
  • Office 365 username
  • some other software (e.g. - your University email address)
  • alternative for logging into Office 365
  • setting up Outlook on some PCs