Lancaster University has a site licence for Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Corporate Edition. This means that students and staff at the University have free access to one of the best antivirus programs. SEP prevents devices from being infected with known viruses, Trojans and other malware. SEP is installed by default on all University PCs. On other computers, you will need to install the software in order to access it.
Installed updates are run automatically, therefore no manual updates are needed.
There are 32bit and 64bit versions of SEP available to install from the network. If you are uncertain which version is applicable to you, choose the 32bit option. If you choose the wrong version, the install process will fail without doing any damage.
- Uninstall any existing Symantec AntiVirus or any other antivirus product, including Internet security packages such as Norton Internet Security.
- Identify the relevant file location from the Licence keys and file locations page and copy the location.
- Press the Windows key and R together. Paste in (or type) the location pathway (from step 2).
- Right click on the installer file (setup.exe) within the folder, then from the drop-down menu select Copy.
- Save the installer file to your device's Downloads folder.
- Open the folder and double click on setup.exe to run it.
- Click Yes, then confirm that you do want to allow …changes to the computer? to be made. See Symantec Endpoint Protection install progress bar – the install could take about ten minutes.
- If necessary, click the Close button on a LiveUpdate Status dialog.
- You will see a request to reboot – close all programs and click Restart.
When your system restarts, SEP will be fully installed and working.
- Before installing Symantec AntiVirus you need to uninstall any previous antivirus software.
- Identify the relevant file location from the Licence keys and file locations page
- Drag Symantec Endpoint Protection(.zip) on to your desktop.
- On your desktop, double-click Symantec Endpoint Protection(.zip) – the Symantec Endpoint Protection folder appears.
- Open the Symantec Endpoint Protection folder.
- Double-click on the Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer file – the Symantec Endpoint Protection installer appears.
- Follow the instructions.
- Click Agree & Install.
- Type in your Administrator credentials.
- Click Install.
- When prompted after the installation has completed, click Log Out.
If you leave or graduate from Lancaster, and are therefore no longer a member of the University, you must remove SEP from any of your computers that you installed it on.