enables students and staff to get a secure internet connection across Lancaster campus and at other participating institutions.
Visit lancaster.ac.uk/connect-eduroam to view connection instructions for your device.
JISC, the UK’s national research and education network provider, have developed a companion app for eduroam, with a map that shows you where every eduroam hotspot is in the world. It can even show you where you need to go to reach one.
Eduroam have an interactive map that shows you all the places world-wide where you can log into eduroam.
eduroam (education roaming) allows students, lecturers, researchers and staff from participating organisations to securely access the Internet via Wi-Fi from any eduroam-enabled organisation.
eduroam services provided by Lancaster University
Lancaster University operates Home and Visited eduroam services. This means:
- Lancaster University account holders can set up their devices to use eduroam at Lancaster University ('Home' eduroam service).
How to set up your device to connect to eduroam
- Lancaster University account holders who have set up eduroam on their devices will be able to use eduroam at other participating institutions (provided that institution is operating a 'Visited' eduroam service).
- Visitors who have eduroam configured for their home institution will be able to use the eduroam service at Lancaster University ('Visited' eduroam service).
Acceptable use of eduroam at Lancaster University
Users of eduroam at Lancaster University agree to abide by:
eduroam for visitors to Lancaster University
If you are a visitor to Lancaster University and have eduroam set up for your home organisation, eduroam should work as expected for you. You should not need to set up a new profile.
If you do need to set up a new eduroam profile you should follow your home organisation's instructions, not those of Lancaster University. This is because Lancaster University checks your account credentials at your home organisation when you connect to eduroam.
Visitors to Lancaster University who require eduroam support should contact their Home site in the first instance.
At Lancaster University, eduroam uses the AES/CCMP cipher/method to perform encryption over Wi-Fi.
Which organisations in the UK provide eduroam?
List of other organisations offering eduroam, including links to service information for those organisations.
Use of eduroam after your association with Lancaster University ends
Lancaster University account holders are required to remove the eduroam profile from their devices when their association with Lancaster University ends.
LU Visitor Wi-Fi
LU Visitor Wi-Fi enables visitors who cannot use eduroam to get internet access.
LU-Visitor is a public Wi-Fi network and so not a secure network. It is designed for temporary access; you will need to sign back in every 24 hours. It is not for long-term use by staff and students as they can use the secure eduroam Wi-Fi.
To connect to Visitor Wi-Fi, look for LU-Visitor in your list of Wi-Fi networks and follow the Visitor Wi-Fi registration instructions on your device.
(If you have connected to LU Visitor but do not see the instructions, visit http://lucp.luns.net.uk/)
You will need to:
- Tick the box to agree to the terms and conditions
- Register to use LU Visitor Wi-Fi with either a: Google account, Facebook account or using email verification (providing a personal email address).
If you choose email verification:
- An email will be sent to the personal email address you gave. Open the email on the same device, and click on the link to verify the connection. You will be given 10 minutes internet connection to allow you to complete the registration.
- Once verified you will have 24 hours access to Visitor Wi-Fi.